From: Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone by Deborah Madison
- 2-3 leeks sliced
- 2 tbls peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 serrano chiles (optional)
- 1 tbls finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbls curry powder
- 1 tbls green curry paste
- 1 tbls light brown sugar
- 3 tbls soy sauce
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1 ½ pounds delicata squash-cubed, (you do not have to peel it!)
- salt to taste
- 1 10 oz cube of firm tofu
- juice of one lime
- 1/3 cup toasted peanuts
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Chop all veggies and ginger ahead of time.
- Heat oil in the soup pot.
- Add leeks and sauté about 3 minutes
- Add garlic, chilies, and ginger Cook 1 minute more.
- Add curry powder curry paste, sugar, and soy sauce. Stir well, scraping the pot.
- Add 3 cups water or chicken stock, coconut milk, squash, salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for 15 minutes until squash is tender.
- Taste for salt and add lime juice.
- Saute the tofu in peanut oil until browned.
- Serve soup over basmati or jasmine rice with tofu, cilantro, and nuts sprinkled on top.
VARIATIONS: You can add all sorts of additional veggies to this. Carrots, mushrooms, and red peppers are especially good.