From Deborah Madison’s Local Flavors
You can vary amounts of each vegetable or add and subtract any to fit the season. Just follow the basic idea. You will need a small batch of pesto to go with this.
- 3 TBLS olive oil
- ¾ lb new potatoes (fingerlings are best)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 medium tomatoes, chopped into large pieces, juice reserved
- 3 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bell pepper
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1 lb summer squash cut into large pieces
- 4 carrots, julienned
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Warm the oil on low heat in a dutch oven or other deep, heavy bottomed pot.
- When fragrant add the onions, garlic, thyme, and sage.
- Cover and cook while you prep the other veggies.
- Start adding the veggies and salt each layer.
- Add in this order for best cooking rates: carrots, potatoes, peppers, summer squash, tomatoes.
- Pour the reserved tomato juice over it all and cook covered for about 40 minutes or until carrots and
potatoes are tender.
- If pot seems dry during cooking add a few TBLS of water or white wine.
- Serve in soup bowls with a generous dollop of pesto on top.