1 large spaghetti squash (about 6 pounds)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound Italian sausage (optional)
2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut squash lengthwise, scoop out seeds and pulp, and bake for about 45 minutes or until flesh is soft.
3. When squash is nearly done, brown the meat and then add the sauce.
4. In a bowl combine ricotta, mozzarella, and basil.
5. When squash is tender, scrape out the flesh with a fork and place in a bowl.
6. Fill the now empty squash cavity by layering squash, red sauce, and cheese (at least twice).
7. Turn the oven up to broil and cook squash until the cheese on top starts to brown and bubble.