From Honest Pretzels by Mollie Katzen
2 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tsp mild chile powder 2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1 TBSP cider vinegar
1 small bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
5 cups cooked kidney, tiger’s eye, or Rising River Farm’s dry bean mix
4 cups canned, stewed tomatoes
1/2 lb cooked, ground burger (optional)
grated cheddar cheese
1. In a soup pot heat 2 TBLS olive oil. When heated add the onion, carrot, celery, chile powder, and cumin, and salt. Saute for 10 or so minutes.
2. Add vinegar, pepper, garlic, and beans. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Slowly add 2 cups tomato juice.
4. Stir and cover for 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes or so.
5. Serve with the toppings of your choice.