From Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
2-3 leeks, cleaned and chopped
2 lbs. Yellow Finn potatoes, cubed
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1. Sauté leeks and garlic in melted butter until leeks are translucent.
2. Add cubed potatoes, salt, and enough water to just cover veggies.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are soft.
4. Puree soup in a food processor and return to the pot. Add enough milk to get to the consistency you like and add more salt if necessary.
5. Gently warm the soup, but do not boil.
Variations: You can use just about any type of potato. I often add carrots for extra nutrients and sweetness. You could probably tuck a turnip in there and no one would be the wiser! Finally, I use an one of those hand-held “stick in the pot” blenders, which saves on dishes and reduced the risk of splashing hot soup on yourself.
Serve with a crusty French type bread.