By Jamie Erhke
I like to use this in lieu of shortbread for strawberry shortcake or as a cobbler topping for a nectarine cobbler. Just drop blobs of dough on the top of the nectarines and bake at 325 until done (about 35 minutes).
- 2 cups whole wheat fine flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (one stick) butter
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (I use regular milk with great success)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 400
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter and work in until you have a crumbly texture
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg, milk, and vanilla
- Combine all ingredients.
- Roll out to ½ inch thickness for biscuits or drop spoonfuls over fruit if making a cobbler
- Bake biscuits at 400 for 10-15 minutes, or at 325 for 35 minutes if making a cobbler.