Whoever created the crock pot was a genius. How great is it to prepare dinner in the morning when you actually have energy and clarity of mind…and it is ready when you walk in the door after work? I love crock pot days!
You can vary the ingredients to fit your own personal tastes.
- 1-2 lbs. cubed stew meat
- 4 fist-sized potatoes, (Finns, Yukons, or Fingerlings are some of my favorites)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped in rings
- Other suggestions: celery, parsnip, turnips
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Meat prep: You can just toss the meat in as is, or dredge in flour then brown all sides in a skillet with a little oil. It depends on how pressed for time you are.
- Chop all veggies and add them one variety at a time, salting and peppering with each addition.
- Add enough liquid to not quite cover the veggies. I like to add a mix of organic chicken broth and water. Sometimes I’ll add a little puréed tomatoes as well.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7 or 8 hours.
- Serve with your favorite dinner bread or rolls. So good on a cold winter day!