From Rising River Farm
- 1 bunch chard- chopped (entire leaf and the upper end of stalks
- 1 small onion or medium shallot-chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic-minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked rice of your choice. (I like basmati, but a heartier rice is good too.)
- 4 bratwursts
- Optional: feta, grated cheddar, toasted sunflower seeds
- Start cooking the rice.
- Chop all the veggies
- When rice is almost done, start cooking the brats either on the grill, in the oven or in a frying pan. (I like to grill them, personally.)
- If you are a multi-tasker, you can also start sautéing the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add chard in batches and cook until the color changes to a vibrant bright green-just a few minutes. Try not to overcook. Toss with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with brats, either whole on the side, or cut up and added to the mix.
- Sprinkle the cheese of your choice and/or and seeds over the top.
NOTE: If you are a vegetarian, toasted salted nuts or pan-fried tofu can take the place of the brats.