From The Big Book of Potluck
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups broccoli florets
2 TBLS better
2 TBLS flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
2 TBLS dry white wine
1/2 cup coarse dry bread crumbs
Freshly grated Parmesan chees for sprinkling on top
1. Steam the cauliflower and broccoli until just tender. (Start with the cauliflower, then add the broccoli a few minutes later.)
2. Cool veggies under cold water and drain.
3. Put veggies in a gratin dish or casserole lightly coated with butter or oil and set aside.
4. In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until bubbly. Add milk, salt, and pepper to taste and stir until thickened.
5. Add Cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
6. Stir in wine and mix well.
7. Pour sauce over vegetables.
8. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
9. Bake uncovered, until bubbly, about 25 minutes.